Irish Soda Bread
- 3 ½ cups flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pint sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds (optional)
- ¾ cup raisins
* Combine dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
* Add the raisins and caraway seeds and stir well with wooden spoon or knead in with your hands.
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled and diced
- 1 small rutabaga, chopped
- 1/4 cup frozen green peas
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 cup milk, or as needed
- 3 cups prepared mashed potatoes
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Place the celery, carrots, parsnip, rutabaga, and peas into a large saucepan and fill with 1 inch of water. Bring to a boil, cover, and steam for 15 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
Meanwhile, crumble the ground lamb or beef into a large skillet set over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until lamb is no longer pink. Drain off any grease. Stir in the steamed vegetables and tomato sauce. Season with salt, pepper, thyme and sage. Transfer everything to a greased 7x11 inch baking dish.
Mix enough milk into the mashed potatoes to make them spreadable. Spread them over the top of the casserole and garnish with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.
Bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until the top is browned and the casserole is heated through.
Corned Beef and Cabbage (Crock Pot)
4 cups hot water
2 tablespoons cider vinegar2 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 large onion ,cut into quarters3 lbs corned beef brisket (with spices)
8 small yellow potatoes, scrubbed and cut into quarters
1 head cabbage , cored and cut into 10 wedges (about 1 1/2 pounds)
and mix well.
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
- salt to taste
- 1 1/2 cups shredded corned beef
- 8 (10 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 pound prepared coleslaw
Mix together the yogurt, mayonnaise, lime juice, cilantro, cayenne pepper, and salt in a bowl until smooth.
Place the corned beef in a saucepan over medium-low heat just until hot. Place a tortilla into a heavy skillet over medium heat until hot and just beginning to show brown spots, about 30 seconds per side.
To assemble, arrange about 2 tablespoons of coleslaw on a tortilla; follow with 3 tablespoons of corned beef. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the yogurt sauce; roll up to serve.